Thursday, January 26, 2012

MY NEW BEST FRIENDS -- DEVICES


In the world of Rehab for Hip Replacements I have quickly learned to appreciate the devices one uses to assist with the activities of daily living (e.g. getting dressed) I had an excellent OT friend (Miss Wendy) provide me with an in-service prior to surgery. Thank goodness, because if I had to learn this post-op, I could never had done it being on the pain meds and feeling the way I did.

Being limited in what I can and can not do, has really heightened my appreciation further of what people with disabilities go through every day of their life. The simple activities of daily living are exhausting. Many of us think we understand what the a person with a disability goes through. But I would challenge each of you if the opportunity ever presents itself, to try doing things without the use of say your leg(s), or arm(s), etc. I promise you the experience is like no other experience you've had. People with disabilities are just like you and me, with some limitations. As a favor to me, please remember this always throughout your daily routine in life. I believe the more we understand each other, the better we as individuals will be and the better our world will be.

THE TOYS
Whoops, I mean Devices, I use on a daily basis are: A walker, cane, dressing stick (to be discussed later), grabber (like you see on the infomercial ads when you can't sleep at 2 in the morning), a sock device (the official name has slipped my mind), velcro, a water container with a lid and a sippy straw, raised toilet seat (this could be an entire chapter, but I'll save those details) :) Each and every device has allowed me to be relatively independent when it comes to dressing, moving around, etc.

If I was told for some reason that I could only have two devices to utilize, it would be a very tough decision to make. However, I believe the grabber, and walker/cane (ok maybe that makes it three) would win. Following close behind would be the sock device and the dressing stick.

LET THE DEMO BEGIN
Explaining how I use each would be very time consuming and oh so boring for those of you readers who have even lasted this long through the post. Admit it, it's boring.
However, I'll share one story with you. I was fortunate to receive lunch last Monday from our friend John and his daughter Zoey. Both were off for the MLK holiday. Zoey who is 3rd grade going on 8th grade, is very inquisitive about life in general and especially inquisitive this day about all my devices. So I gave her my own inservice on using the sock device. To set this scene up, the sock device looks something like a large plastic tube -- split down the middle, so that you now have a half circle of flexible plastic. (note: I will attempt to attach a pic or two if it works) Attached to one end are two ropes, one on each side of the tube. I learn best by doing versus watching, so I thought Zoey might benefit from the same process. I got her a sock, demonstrated the device, and turned it over to her to put her own sock on. The first few tries were fun, as she kept forgetting she couldn't bend down to straighten the device out. Her instructor would merely clear his throat and she got the message. Giving me a somewhat perplexed look each time that throat cleared. After about three throat clearings, WALA----Zoey succeeded!!. She was then taught to take the sock off with the dressing stick. So who knows, maybe Zoey will be demonstrating this device at her next Show and Tell. Do they even have Show and Tell anymore? If not then, she can teach John and Maggie how to put on their socks when they are old and in a nursing home.

No comments:

Post a Comment