Wednesday, January 11, 2012

PHYSICAL THERAPY ROCKS

I have never witnessed the greatness of Physical Therapy like I have now.  With my previous neck surgeries, PT was not a huge part of my recovery. Well, let me tell you my friends, IT WORKS!!!!

I have been seen by two PT's.  Amy in the hospital, and Rasha at home. 

In the hospital
Amy had me walking with a walker the morning after surgery.  Chuck was present for my first session.  The intiial converstion between Amy and I went something like this:
Gil:  Amy, this is my partner Chuck, who happens to be a PT.  Do NOT let him intimidate your or tell you do to something a different way. Whispering ever so softly to her, as not to let Chuck hear.  I said, don't worry he's not testing you.

Amy:  Very polite.  Introduced herself to Chuck with open arms. 

So we were off to a great start.  Chuck and Amy got a long very well.  He later said to me that he thought amy was a very good therapist.

Amy provided two treaments a day in the hopsital.  Each time, I was able to see a little more progress.  When I say little, I mean little.  But it was the expected goal, so Amy and I were both very happy!!!!!  I was saddened and a little afraid to loose "my" therapist on Friday when I was discharged.  However, she left me in good mental and physical condition to face the challenges of transporting home, getting settled, and continuing therapy.

Side note:  Amy could not believe how many friends I had stop by the hospital, who were therapists.  SHe laguhted and said I knew more therapists than she did. 

At Home
My home health PT came on Saturay the 7th.  Her name is Rasha.  Rasha  is a terrific human being.  She is energetic, warm, caring, and a damn good therapist. She also  passed the Chuck PT test (i.e. she treated with him in the same room).  Two PTs passing in the same week is well how shall I say...WONDERFUL.   I am once again lucky to be able to rehabilitate with such a great individual.  Rasha and I have worked daily on my excercises, and like Amy in the hospital, she is helping me move forward.  As an example, I could not raise my leg when lying fly off the bed without assistance lifting it up.  With the help of PT and my excercises, I can now raise my leg almost two inces.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's an incredible independent feeling to accomplish this task.

So in closing on a rather lengthy blog post, know that Physical Therapy does work!!!  They do wonderful things for people.  This time I am experiencing those "wonderful things" msyelf.  This is a great feeling!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted to know that you are making progress and, perhaps more importantly, that you are rejoicing in each and every increment of improvement. Contine to do a "happy dance" in your head. Stay motivated and keep posting on this blog. I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete